Thursday, October 31, 2013

Survival Skills Resources

Today, while working with one of my ESL learners, medical office terminology was one of the topics we discussed.  I used a new patient information sheet that I downloaded last year from my endocrinologist's web site. The medical history lists and questions offered us plenty of vocabulary and discussions.  We want to continue discussing medical situations. 

I have requested a book from a network library, on the topic but in the mean time, I have found 3 books in my local branch, that will we will use both for medical terminology/scenarios as well as other life circumstances.  That's Life is a series by New Readers Press. In 2 of them (Introductory and Low Beginner), I found chapters about doctor visits.  I also borrowed a book called English Interplay, Surviving,  which I will use in addition to the aforementioned ones, in preparation for next week's meeting.

I like these books because the crucial words are contained in the short, simple. realistic stories. There are pictures and very short workbook style pages. They're perfect for a learner who wants to be prepared for medical encounters.

No comments:

Post a Comment