Wednesday, October 9, 2013

New Student Tomorrow

I will meet a new ESL student tomorrow morning. She is Korean. It's a sweet irony that her husband is a Pastor and I am planning to offer an ESL class at our church, beginning some time in 2014. I understand her husband is also on the ESL list, so perhaps I will work with him, or a small group from his church. 

Over the past few weeks I sat in on the ESL tutor class I took over the summer, just as a refresher. I didn't hear anything new, but being a musician, I recognize the effectiveness of repetition. The primary benefit I derived, was once again, I heard about the contents of an array of books in the ESL collection. I had combed through them over the summer but had not been back.

I have also done a little research on Korean customs, gestures, social practices and so on.  I certainly don't want to make my student uncomfortable by doing something inadvertently offensive.  

Here's to a great learning experience for both of us!


No comments:

Post a Comment