Sunday, November 2, 2014

Literacy for Life 2014


I was honored to have been a presenter at yesterday's Literacy for Life conference at Monmouth Community College, in West Windsor, NJ.  It was quite a ride in quasi-hurricane conditions, at the crack of dawn, but worth every ounce of inconvenience presented by the long ride and uncooperative atmospherics.   The venue was just right for our event - enough room, but not so spread out that it was difficult to navigate.  The catering was great and participants were treated to great beverages, fruit and snacks throughout the day.  No one left hungry.




My workshop was during the first time slot, concurrent with several other workshops. iTeach ESL was well attended and I had a lively group that was engaged. They had enough questions to signal me that they were really listening and I retained their attention until the end of my talk.   Since it was a tech talk, the "notes" handout I offered attendees, was just a cover sheet with a QR code to a page on this blog where I have provided URLs and some other pertinent notes.  






After my 9:15 AM workshop, I attended the Naturalization Information Session.given by a Community Relations Officer from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigrations Services, a branch of U.S. Department of Homeland Security.  She was a delightful presenter and extremely informative.  She gave us an overview of the process those seeking citizenship encounter.  We were recipients of plenty of resources for our students or our own edification. None of the English learners I tutor are yet citizens.




Lunch was after the second session.  The caterer did a great job with mixed baby green  salad, fresh fruit, Italian bread and butter, stuffed shells, chicken marsala, spinach, and risotto.  Dessert didn't disappoint. There was pumpkin cheesecake, I think a chocolate cheesecake, a traditional chocolate cake, fresh fruit, cream puffs, chocolate chip cookies and coffees and teas.  Yum.

The after-lunch General Session was informative and inspiring.  Dr. Erik Jacobson was the guest speaker and gave a presentation,  Problem Solving in Technology Rich Environments.  I first me Dr. Jacobson in August, when we attended a meeting at Literacy NJ.  He's a brilliant and passionate advocate for Adult Education, as well as an Associate Professor in the Early Childhood,  Elemetary and Literacy Education Department at Montclair State University.  

After Dr. Jacobson, this year's awards were presented:
  • The 2014 Award for Volunteer Excellence went to Josh Lucchesi, Literacy Volunteers Association Capre-Atlantic
  • The 2014 Award for Tutor Excellence went to Daniel Keohlhoffer, Literacy Volunteers of Monmouth County
  • The Alice M. Leppert Award for Outstanding Affiliate Achievement went to Literacy Volunteers of Somerset County
  • The 2014 Award for Student Excellence went to the delightful  Carine Deye, Literacy NJ Union County Programs 
Following a short break, my third session workshop was Dr. Jacobson's Promises of Adult Education and Realities of the Workforce. He's a dynamic educator. I hope his university students appreciate his expertise and devotion to education. It was a great workshop.

I left the conference much richer in knowledge.  







No comments:

Post a Comment