Saturday, July 13, 2013

Anticipation

I'm in receipt of my certificate for completing the tutor training course I took during June and feel well-prepared to begin tutoring.  Since the first ESL tutor training class, I have become aware of things I encounter everywhere, that may be useful with an ELL (English Language Learner). The Ramsey Library has contacted me about a student on their waiting list who sounds like a good match because she is a native Spanish speaker and I speak Spanish.  While they make the necessary contacts and arrange for our first session, I have been continuing to compile resources such as:


  • more photos for my picture files
  • brochures that might be helpful
  • "traditional" teaching aids
  • "non-traditional" teaching aids

Among the above are a flier from the Post Office about Lottery Scams, foam numbers and math symbols to assist tactile learners, a few excellent iPad apps (Oxford Picture Dictionary Unit 1, Idioms, USA Learners 1, ESL Tests), and magazine photos of action scenes to add to my "What Are They Doing?" folder.  I also picked up some spiral notebooks for 50¢.  I found a great resource book  on  Amazon for 1¢ plus shipping.  It's one edition older than the current version, but much of its material is the same as the newer one.  Although I have and can borrow the current edition from the ESL collection at the Ramsey or Westwood Libraries, having my own copy, though older,  at home may be very helpful.





 


No comments:

Post a Comment